Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Walkmen - Lisbon

"With my old friends, drunk and lonely, to the end,  how i love'm all, as the days slip by, and they're all following my lead"

          Woe is me. Woe is me. Not only is that the title to one of the songs on the Walkmen's latest and greatest "Lisbon," but it also seems to be the theme of the album. Although at times the vibe, and tone of Lisbon can make you feel alone in world, and nostalgic for heartbreak and loss, once the album is over you can't help but be awestruck with the fact that the music has such an effect on the you.  "While I Shovel Snow" took me on a journey of winter's past, and reminded me that "There's no life, like the snow life."  Swirling guitar riffs, and Hamilton Leithauser's raspy almost bellowing voice are the band's moneymakers, and are produced flawlessly throughout the album. Lisbon was named in tribute to the city in Portugal, but I like to think its named after any great city that someone has left behind, and want  nothing more but to return, and until then they'll have this album to remind them and not let them forget about whats waiting for them, out there, someday. Favorite Tracks - While I Shovel Snow, Angela Surf City,  Victory, Stranded.

For Fans of - Two Gallants, Explosions in the Sky, the Midwest, and nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment