Monday, December 13, 2010

Harlem - Hippies

"Tell your mama, tell your pa, tell everybody you ever saw, i'm coming home and i'm going to be kind of pissed." I dare you not to rock your hips, bob your head, and gimme a little toe tap while you listen to this album. Hailing from Tuscon, AZ but based in Austin, TX Harlem is a rock and/or roll three piece comprised of the coolest kids in the world...well at least thats how I picture them thinking of themselves because they probably are.  The music projects a dorky sort of toughness reminiscent of The Ramones. The album "Harlem" is destined to be played in the background at college hipster parties for years to come, while providing just the right amount surf inspired bass lines, and body rocking drum beats to keep the party moving.  The whole album gives a feel that these guys showed up to the studio plugged in, said "hey press record", played and rolled out. The first time I listened to Hippies (this morning) I was quick to assume that I wasn't going to like the album, and this was just another annoying, pretentious college rock band. I left the album on repeat throughout my entire work day, and constantly found myself doing little jigs at my desk.  Whenever I'd leave my office, I would reenter expecting to see my friends standing around my desk dancing like peanuts characters.  Someday Soon is the album opener, and warns "Someday soon you'll be on fire, and you'll ask me for a glass of water, and ill say "noooo, you can just let that shit burn." Basically saying, IT'S ABOUT TO GO DOWN. The album is timeless and will be enjoyed by young and old. (My 2 1/2 year old daughter wouldn't stop dancing while I listened at home.)  Favorite tracks - Someday Soon, Pissed, Prairie My Heart, and Gay Human Bones.   Harlem knows what they are, and they do it well.

For Fans of: The Shins, Vampire Weekend, The Wonders, and good music.
domo arigato for reading this. DOZO!

No comments:

Post a Comment