Sunday, December 19, 2010

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

"Take my hand and pray with me, My final days in company, The devil now has come for me, And helicopters circling the scene"


  A bipolar orgy of musical fusion that ranges from sound sampling, and saxophone solos, to leisurely relaxing guitars, and twinkling keys resulting in Deerhunter's fourth full length album "Halcyon Digest."  The album has that sort of ugly beauty that mainstream America can't and won't ever be able appreciate.  Revival is a 2 minute euphoric dream with echoing vocals and classical guitar.  The album feels like a fine wine, and is getting better the more i listen to it. I'm just not sure, if its going to be installed into my musical rotation long enough for me to ever fully understand or appreciate the entire bottle.  In the mean time though i'm enjoying these few glasses that i've poured myself while trying to understand, and purely enjoy the album.  Overall the record lives up to its thought provoking time while delivering 11 halcyon tracks that can take a while to digest, but it's there. Not every great album is great at first listen, this one is a prime example of that fact.   Favorite Tracks - Revival, Sailing, Helicopter, and Coronado.

For Fans of  - Radiohead, The Dear Hunter, Dear and Headlights, Deerhoof, Deer Tick, The Deer Tracks,  Dear Me Dear You, Wolfmother, Wolf Parade, Seawolf, Deerwolf? people who like writing letters.

2 comments:

  1. Best review yet. Have you ever thought of trying to make this a career? You should.

    ReplyDelete