Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The National - High Violet


"Your voice is swallowing my soul"
It wasn't my intention to give nothing but good reviews when I started this blog, but i've yet to be disappointed in anything i've listened to so far, and The National's "High Violet" is the best album of them all. (I know it's only the third)  A smart, and dreary masterpiece of ambient guitars, and Matt Beringer's baritone croon has sparked something inside of me that i haven't felt for an album in a very long time. Whether it was reading the lyrics, or closing my eyes getting lost in the wave of musical genius I didn't want to take my headphones off. Echoing choirs, sharp and precise drumbeats, and whimsical perfectly placed string sections construct the framework of the album.  The music video for the single "Bloodbuzz Ohio" is a simple black and white following of Beringer as the video cuts back and fourth between Beringer performing on a small dark stage with a dim spotlight on him as he rocks back and forth with a Sammy Davis Jr. swagger holding on to his dark martini, and Beringer strolling through a park park pondering life.  The album thrives on its subtle and intricate details performed by the two sets of brothers who make up the rest of the band. One of whom studied classical guitar at Yale. This album needs to be enjoyed with a large set of headphones and no distractions.  It is instantly my favorite album of the year, and hope you take the time and indulge in the beauty that is "High Violet." Favorite Tracks - Coversation 16, Sorrow, and Anyone's Ghost.
For Fans of - The Arcade Fire, The Smiths, the feeling in your chest when you encounter a true work of art.

1 comment: