Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 1 and 2.1 The Arrival

We walked off the plane to silence, almost the complete opposite of arriving at O'Hare airport, where it's instant chaos and everyone is moving like they're lives are more important than everyone else's. Tokyo= silence. Everyone is walking normally, and almost no one is talking, while soft music plays as we cruise on the moving sidewalk. (Aqueous Transmission) We have no idea where to go, so we follow the baggage sign, and end up at a bus stop that looks like it takes us to another terminal. Ashley and I try to wait patiently, but Margot was running on about two hours of sleep on a 13 hour flight. Margot is raging. Margot tries to in circles in her stroller and face turns from fair to violent red in the blink of an eye. A Japanese stewardess walks up to her and gives her "JAL" airlines sticker, giggles and walks away. Margot throws it on the ground and continues her tirade. Oh well, her loss, I love stickers. We arrive at the next building and see all of our luggage lined up on the floor below us, take the elevator downstairs where we a greeted by two young Japanese women. First impression of Japanese people is that they're extremely kind, and helpful.....well most of them, after we load up all SEVEN bags that we checked onto two separate carts, we make our way through the customs counter, but not before the highlight of day ONE occurs. A Japanese woman walks past me with fury in her eyes, and they're locked onto an oblivious older (like 45 or 50 years old) man. "**$*%&^ OI*&)( !@#$%*" she yells as you starts unloading chops to the man's head and chest. He looks stunned, but doesn't defend himself. After five chops the woman turns and flees the scene. The man turns, and looks forward as if nothing had happened. Somehow Ashley didn't see it.

To be continued.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! i can only imagine the things you guys will see in the next 2 years there lol!
    -andrews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry poor Margot didn't get much sleep on the plane! The people of Japan ARE the kindest ever! I once had a layover at Tokyo-Narita for one night and rode a shuttle bus to my hotel. When the bus was unloaded I realized my luggage somehow did not make it on to the shuttle bus with me. I was standing in front of the hotel gettin' weepy when this man drove up smiling and waving furiously at me --- he had seen me get on the hotel shuttle bus and also seen that my luggage was left behind and brought it to me from the airport in his own car!! That would NEVER happen in Chicago.

    Aunt Jen

    ReplyDelete